Friday, June 12, 2009

Band of the Month: The National

"I used to be carried in the arms of cheerleaders... I'm the new blue blood, I'm the great white hope. I won't fuck us over. I'm Mr. November!"

It seems like every month I have a band that I can just not stop listening too. I will listen to them at work, in my car, on the eliptical and doing chores. When I'm not listening to them, I'm singing some of my favorite passages, like the one above, from the band off key. This month's Big Sexy Band of the Month is The National.

The National have been around for several years. They were critically acclaimed and when their latest release came out a couple years ago, I gave it a cursory listen and then dismissed it. But the more you listen to them, the more they etch into your soul. Matt Berninger sings with a very soulful baritone, that is not immediately appreciable. However, he is a strong poet. The meloncholy yet catchy rhythms of their songs highlight the emotions in the songs. I am a big sucker for excellent lyrics and it seems like every song has a line or two that lands somewhere between cool and brilliant.

Check them out!

Previous Big Sexy Bands of the Month...

January - Kings of Leon
February - Lifter Puller
March - Radiohead
April - Kings of Leon
May - Green Day

No comments: