Wednesday, August 25, 2010

Movie Review: Scott Pilgrim vs. the World


>>> I went into this movie with pretty high expectations. The expectation came from the involvement of co-writer of the screenplay and director Edgar Wright and a pretty cool trailer I saw months ago.
>>> I love Wright's previous work with Simon Pegg in Shaun of the Dead, Hot Fuzz and the BBC show, Spaced. One of the special things with all of those is the unique directorial style of the films. I'm not detailed or observant enough to "get" subtle directorial touches that likely help me understand or enjoy the film better. Wright's direction involves some very quirky and in-your-face cuts that really add to my enjoyment. Scott Pilgrim is his first venture away from Simon Pegg and I was hoping he would still bring me happiness.
>>> Wright did not disappoint. Scott Pilgrim vs. the World is every bit as quirky, fun, cool and rockin' as I had hoped it would be. Scott Pilgrim is a series of "graphic novels" and is based on a videogame culture. The series was adapted into this kick-ass movie by Wright and one of the lesser Basterds from last years BS top movie. The story is good, but what makes this movie to me is the directing. It is full of interesting visions from Batman style explamations to brief labels introducing the viewer to new characters. Each battle is choreographed like a video game complete with graphics and clearly fictional attacks.
>>> My one paragraph plot summary... Scott is a 23 year old slacker whose only thing in life is that he plays bass guitar in a nothing punk band, Sex Bob-Omb (love that name!). He finds the girl of his dreams (literally) and remarkably their interest is eventually mutual. Ramona (dream girl) says that in order to continue dating her he needs to defeat her 7 evil ex-boyfriends. As you would expect, the movie takes you through these battles as Scott also learns about himself.
>>> I am a sucker for a good soundtrack. This soundtrack is excellent for the movie. As Scott is a musician, the plot also follows along with his band. I love the quick punk numbers of Sex Bob-Omb. All of them were written by Beck, who also has songs in the movie. Another great song by Metric is performed the fictional band The Clash at Demonhead. The Clash at Demonhead's lead singer is Scott's ex-girlfriend. The band name is a geek-reference to an old Nintendo game of the same name. I bet if this movie is slowed down, there are a ton of these types of references.
>>> Overall, I was maybe a little tired of the battles by end. Because of that I can't give it top marks. It is my favorite movie theater experience of the year. I will give it 1,2,3,4!!!! Power Ups out of 5.

No comments: